Your Guide To Generator Maintenance: What It Involves And Why It’s Important
In our modern world, we rely on electricity for almost everything. Imagine a stormy night with high-speed winds that rip down multiple electrical lines. The power goes out, leaving you in total darkness. You have a home standby generator, but why isn’t it coming on? We rely on home generators to automatically kick on when the power grid fails. Yet, all too often, we take these machines for granted. That’s where the importance of regular generator maintenance comes in.
Just like any other machine, a home generator needs regular maintenance and service. Left unchecked, generators can become susceptible to clogged fuel injectors, algae growth, fluid leaks, dead batteries, and more. When you regularly check on the status of your generator, you can catch things that need to be touched up or repaired gradually. Otherwise, you risk finding every issue, all at once, after the power has already gone out.
The Northside Power Promise: How We Take Care Of Your Generator And Increase Its Longevity
We understand that every customer has different maintenance needs. If your generator is used frequently, then you will need maintenance at a higher rate than someone who uses their generator rarely. Our maintenance schedules are tailored to your specific usage patterns and needs, guaranteeing optimal performance for your generator.
We offer various preventative maintenance plans to keep your system operating at peak performance. Our maintenance plans include oil changes, tune-ups, and complete system inspections. These plans are designed to remove all the worry regarding brownouts, blackouts, stormy weather, and more.
Here are some of the services covered during certain semi-annual or yearly maintenance inspections:
- Visual Inspection: We perform a thorough visual examination of the generator, looking for any signs of wear, damage, or corrosion. We clean away any debris that could cause clogs.
- Fluid Levels Check: We change engine oil, coolant, and other essential fluids to ensure proper operation.
- Battery Inspection: We examine the battery condition, terminals, and connections, and replace it if necessary.
- Fuel System Inspection: We inspect the fuel lines and filters to ensure they are clean and free from clogs.
- Air System Check: We examine the air filter and ensure the ventilation system is clear and functioning correctly.
- Load Bank Testing: We conduct load bank testing periodically to verify the generator’s ability to handle its load capacity.
- Control Panel Verification: We review and test the control panel settings and alarm functionality.
- Exhaust System Examination: We inspect the exhaust system for leaks or damage, ensuring safe ventilation of fumes.
- Cooling System Inspection: We check the radiator, hoses, and cooling system for leaks or blockages.
- Electrical Connections Review: We examine all electrical connections and components for loose wires or corrosion.
- Run Test: We run the generator to test its functionality and ensure it starts and operates smoothly.
- Documentation: We maintain detailed records of all maintenance activities for your generator’s history.
- Recommendations: We provide recommendations for any necessary repairs or upgrades to enhance reliability.
Regular generator maintenance not only ensures that your generator will kick on when you need it, but it also prevents any safety issues from occurring and ensures your generator has a longer lifespan. It also helps you save money in the long run, as addressing a single issue promptly can prevent a domino effect of additional issues that could result in a costly bill.
How Our 24/7 Monitoring System Works
Northside Power has been at the forefront of the generator industry. We were the first generator business in Arkansas to provide home standby generators, the first to design load management systems, and the first to design monitoring systems. We continuously push the boundaries of perfection for our clients by leveraging modern technology to improve the way we take care of your generator. Our 24/7 monitoring service is just one more example of our commitment to the standby power industry and our customers.
With our exclusive monitoring system, we can keep an eye on your unit to verify it will operate when you need it. With the daily hustle and bustle of life, it’s easy to overlook your unit missing its weekly exercise or other issues. By using this distinctive approach, we’re able to proactively identify key issues that, based on years of experience, serve as early indicators of a potential system failure.
Our NSP247 Monitoring System utilizes the national cellular system for real-time communication with our monitoring platform. Combined with our GPS-monitored service vehicles, we’re able to match the right technician to the right problem in record time.
Here’s the information our monitoring system provides:
Every single time your generator operates, especially during its weekly exercise.
- Power Failures
If your utility power has failed and the unit is powering your home.
If there is an error or alarm condition with your unit, even in good weather.
- Extended Run-Times
If your unit operates for an extended period of time.
- Weekly Exercises
Whether or not your generator fulfilled its weekly exercise.
- Status Reports
Monthly, quarterly, or annual reports on your generator’s activity.
- Customer Portals
Access to your personal portal where you can also monitor your generator’s activity.
When your generator sits idle for extended periods of time, establishing a regular maintenance schedule might not be at the top of your priority list. However, overlooking maintenance could lead to a wide range of issues. You’ve already taken charge of your power; now, it’s crucial to guarantee it’s reliable when you need it most.
We’ve been selling, installing, and servicing home generators since 1978. Even if you didn’t purchase your system from us, we would love the chance to be your regular maintenance provider and keep your equipment operating at peak performance.
At Northside Power, we take pride in our work and truly want our customers to have peace of mind in knowing that they will have power if the lights go out. If interested, contact us today. We’ll provide you with a free power assessment to determine your standby generator requirements and the best maintenance plan to keep your generator operating efficiently.